TLDR: Short on time and want to jump straight to the answer?
As per our research, the best Reference Management Software for most people is Zotero.
Reference management software (RMS) is used by librarians, teachers, students, accountants, and other professionals who need to maintain tight control over their assigned information. The benefits of RMS include: Versatility – many users manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously. Because each task may have an associated set of files, maintaining access to different versions of the same information can be more challenging than maintaining access to a single document.
After researching dozens of Reference Management Software options available in the market today, we have compiled this list of top 8 Reference Management Software to help you find the perfect solution based on your specific needs.
The 8 Best Reference Management Software
Here are our top picks for the best Reference Management Software,
- Zotero – Overall Best Reference Management Software
- Mendeley Reference Manager – Simple and Easy to Use Reference Manager for Beginners
- EndNote – Most Popular Bibliography Software
- EasyBib – Most Versatile Citation Manager for Flexibility and Customization
- RefWorks – Best Citation Management Software with Fast and Reliable Support
- Paperpile – Most Affordable Reference Data Manager
- Sciwheel – Best Freemium Referencing Program
- Citavi – Top Rated Reference Manager
So, let’s read on further to get a complete idea of our top Reference Management Software picks for this year.
1. Zotero – Overall Best Reference Management Software
Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research. Zotero – your personal research assistant.
2. Mendeley Reference Manager – Simple and Easy to Use Reference Manager for Beginners
With mendeley desktop, you can easily organize and search your personal library, annotate documents and cite as you write. Download now.
3. EndNote – Most Popular Bibliography Software
Endnote is a reference manager that helps you save time formatting citations, so you can focus on your research. Endnote – the best reference management tool.
4. EasyBib – Most Versatile Citation Manager for Flexibility and Customization
Automatic works cited and bibliography formatting for MLA, APA and chicago/Turabian citation styles. Now supports 7th edition of MLA. Easybib®: Free bibliography generator – MLA, APA, chicago citation styles.
5. RefWorks – Best Citation Management Software with Fast and Reliable Support
Log into the older version of refworks, a citation, bibliography, and reference management tool that simplifies the process of research, collaboration, data organization, and writing. Refworks login.
6. Paperpile – Most Affordable Reference Data Manager
Clean and simple and reference management for the web. Sync your pdfs to google drive and cite your papers in google docs. Paperpile: Modern reference and PDF management – paperpile.
7. Sciwheel – Best Freemium Referencing Program
An easy and intuitive way to discover, read, annotate, write and share scientific research. Get started now!. Sciwheel – reference manager & generator – harvard, APA & more.
8. Citavi – Top Rated Referencing Program
Citavi is the only reference management program for teams that gives you the option of storing your information on your own server instead of in the cloud.
Final Thoughts – Best Reference Management Software
The right Reference Management Software for you, depends on your specific needs, of course. Most of our top Reference Management Software picks include a free trial, so don’t be shy about trying a few different brands until you find a perfect fit.
In review, here are our top 8 picks for the best Reference Management Software.
|Overall Best Reference Management Software
|2. Mendeley Reference Manager
|Simple and Easy to Use Reference Manager for Beginners
|Most Popular Bibliography Software
|Most Versatile Citation Manager for Flexibility and Customization
|Best Citation Management Software with Fast and Reliable Support
|Most Affordable Reference Data Manager
|Best Freemium Referencing Program
|Top Rated Reference Manager
We hope that you found this guide helpful in choosing the best Reference Management Software for your specific needs. Feel free to share the article with your friends and help spread the knowledge.